[Mgs] Non-start

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Non-start
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:22:41 -0800
Before I take advantage of this break in the rain to go take a look at it, I
thought I'd solicit some input.

Patient is a 66 MGB with 4-synchro trans and late model starter. Symptom is
(with key in starting position) series of rapid clicks from under the
bonnet, but no turnover. This is a new one for me -- I am more used to
getting either instant fire-up or nothing (with occasional sluggish turnover
when the battery was tired).

Lights work. Fuel pump is functioning as normal. Alternator is new (2
weeks). Battery tested good when alternator was replaced, but has been under
a great deal of stress lately (haven't we all?). Electrics as a whole
functioning about as well as could be expected, being parked outside in a
wet winter.

I am assuming that the starter solenoid is the source of the clicking. I
suppose the question is why the starter motor is not turning. Insufficient
voltage could be one reason, but that would surprise me, as in the past it
has slowly rolled over even when the battery was scarcely strong enough to
tell that the headlights were switched on.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149