Re: [Mgs] Non-start

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Non-start
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:51:16 -0800
Max:

Usually a bad primary cable connection shows up as allowing you to have
headlamps, pump etc, but as soon as you try to turn the engine over
everything goes dead.

This could be a high resistance connection or a low battery.

If you havn't driven the car in a while, I'd look at the battery having
internally drained especially if it is getting on a bit. Sulfation will
take out an older battery in about a month of disuse.

Or at least that's what happens with my 1970 that is sitting outside
getting wet. It makes it about a month between required re-charges. Can
you tell that I havn't been driving it lately?

The late MGB starter solenoid will rattle if there is not quite enough
juice to get the starter to grind. This also gets worse with time as the
starter bearings start to get wobbly.

Put a battery charger on the car, give it a couple of hours then retry.
If this doesn't help it's your primary battery connections.

Kelvin.