Re: [Mgs] A Bad Day with the MGB engine

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>, "don" <don@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] A Bad Day with the MGB engine
From: "riverside" <riverside@cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:32:44 -0500
  Did you remember to prime the oil pump when installing? ( fill with oil or
assembly lube ?STP? ) It is not unusual on these engines to take several
minutes to get oil pressure by cranking after a rebuild if the pump was not
primed with a thick oil that sticks to the pump gears. After the first
minute of cranking, to keep starter damage to a minimum I crank for 15 to 20
seconds and wait an equal amount of time between cranks.  Usually get oil
pressure about the time I am ready to give up.
   If the oil pump was not primed, it is possible to reverse prime it
without removing the oil pan.  This is done by disconnecting the oil line
from the rear of the block and filling the oil passage with oil . You may
have to refill the passage.  Then crank the engine backwards either by hand
or put into gear and roll the car so the  engine turns backward a few
reveloutions. The object is to get abit of oil  into the pump to wet the
gears.  Then crank as normal. It helps to prefill the oil filter also.
   If you do the no-no and start the engine , it should get oil pressue
within about 15 or 20 seconds. Not a suggestion and don't let it run any
longer than that.
Ron