Re: [Mgs] Goleta Fire and Moss Motors/update

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>, "MG list"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Goleta Fire and Moss Motors/update
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:46:00 -0700
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Moss Motors (west coast) is located not far from the beach. The fire is
currently burning on the facing mountain range a couple of miles away.
There are a lot of suburban houses, a freeway and railway line between
the Moss warehouse and the fire so it's unlikely that the facility
itself will be threatened.

Electrical and phone lines are another thing as the electricity is
fluctuating a lot and currently the outgoing phone lines are down. This
is going to be a problem for a while as the fire fighters are setting
back fires to deplete fuel.

Air quality was a problem for employees who live in the Goleta area over
the weekend, but I don't believe anyone here lives in the threatened
canyon areas. Personally, my home and family are in Ojai which is a long
way away from the problem area. Thankfully, as my home backs onto
National forest and would be the first to go up if fires came far enough
south. Luckily the Zaca fire last year cleared out most of the highly
flammable brush to the north of us.

On a side note, I drove up to Oakland on Sunday evening over Highway 154
which is just East of the fire. I looked up at the perfect time to see a
4 engine bomber dump fire retardent on the tree line about 1/4 mile
away. Very impressive. The men and women fighting the fires deserve the
highest level of respect. Driving north on the 101 was a bit like
entering a war zone convoys of equipment, heavy appliances and base
camps all over the place.

All the best

Kelvin Dodd