Re: [Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners, Mk II

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 74 B stalls on right hand corners, Mk II
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:13:17 -0400
Paul,
   Here is an odd situation that happened to a club member this weekend:
        MGA engine, rebuilt, with 3-4 hours engine time since rebuild.
        Ran fine until last week.
        Engine stumbled, would not rev, would not idle
        Stalled regularly
        Could not be driven-insufficient power to move the car
        Strong smell of gasoline at engine restart
        SU Pump working fine
        Fuel filter at carbs full of clean fuel.
        Carb venturis were wet with gasoline
        Spark plugs were wet with gasoline
        Strong spark when plugs were rested on engine block
        Even compression

   Problem:  brand-new Grose Jets.  Dry float bowls.
Bob

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:54:06 +0100 "Paul Hunt"
<paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Actually it is the Bentley manual that looks like the Leyland manual,
> as the
> former is a reprint of the latter.
>
> Now we know there is a strong fuel smell as well it points even more
> flooding, which would eliminate anything causing fuel starvation
> such as
> sediment in the tank or lines, especially as the filter is clear.
> Also
> because of the float chambers it would have to be a very loooooong
> right-hand
> bend to get starvation to affect the engine.  But the other odd
> thing is that
> unless both carbs are affected it really should start easier than
> that
> especially when hot, and the only thing that could flood both carbs
> is if the
> pump suddenly started pumping at significantly higher pressure.
> What pump do
> you have?  If it were only one carb then I'd expect it to restart
> easier than
> that, firing on two cylinders, even though the carbs are cylinders
> have the
> interconnecting balance pipe.
>
> OTOH if it were an *electrical* i.e. ignition fault taking several
> seconds to
> clear, then cranking all that time with the throttle wide open
> *would* put
> unburnt fuel in the exhaust and give a strong smell.  I appreciate
> it normally
> happens when you don't want to be left hanging around, but for the
> purposes of
> diagnosis I'd be taking it round deserted car parks to see if I
> could
> reproduce it, and hence have more time for diagnosis, like leaving
> bit for a
> minute or so to see if it fires up right away after a delay.
>
> PaulH.
Click here for a free directory of employee development and training solutions.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3l7kPNx1U1W2Jr6Snp7aVmlJ6HCL16IrGq543A9tHkeVufel/