Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 4

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 4
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 08:47:50 +0100
How can wet plugs and carb throat be too lean?  That's flooded.  How do you
get from lean to flooded without passing through a period of correct mixture
which should have fired?  It sounds to me like there was more than one
problem, like no ignition causing the initial flooding then the Grose jet
blocking up which allowed the float bowls to empty.  The only other
possibility is that the Grose jets were flooding initially which prevented it
firing, then stopped flowing altogether, which allowed the continued cranking
to empty the float bowl, but it was already flooded so it still didn't start.
Which is stretching things a bit.  Also much of the thread mentions 'Grose
jets' and 'float bowls' i.e. plural i.e. twin carbs making the simultaneous
failure of both Grose jets being even more unlikely as the cause. If you are
saying that once the float valves were replaced the car ran fine then we have
to take that at face value, but there is nothing to say you didn't disturb the
real problem along the way, which may or may not come back to bite you.

PaulH.