Re: [Mgs] Temp sender

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Temp sender
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:27:29 -0600
At 09:46 AM 11/17/2008 -0800, Max Heim wrote:
>.... I have no idea of the specification of this cylinder head. What
>should I be looking for? The engine is a Gold Seal unit with the
>obscure number BHM 1109-228E.

That looks obscure to me too.  I don't know if this will help, but
Information I have on Gold Seal engines is at end of this article:
http://www.ime.org.uk/ime/e/BMC_MG_&_Morris_Engine_Codes.pdf
If anyone has any additional informatin on Gold Seal engines I would
dearly like to know.

>.... how do you folks lift the head off the studs? It's loose, but
>just curling that much dead weight at arms' length with my back bent
>over and my knees locked against the wing seems like a ticket to the
>chiropractor, ....

I think "curling" is the right word.  I normally rest my elbows on
the body cowling and lift with my forearns.

If you want to use a hoist to lift the head you can attach it to the
rocker pedestal studs (without needing to remove the rocker shaft
assembly), same as lifting the whole engine by the valve cover
studs.  Find a recent summary of various attachment techniques here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be106.htm
If the rocker pedestals have been removed, then install two
5/16-18-UNC (coarse thread) bolts in the front and rear holes for
pedestal studs.

One additional caution here.  Horizontal threaded holes for the
manifold studs intersect the vertical through holes for head bolts in
four locations.  If perchance some DPM had installed non-standard
manifold studs with extra long base threads, the manifold studs may
act as set screws to lock the head onto the four head bolts to
prevent removal.  If the head seems to be loose but does not lift up
immediately, you might try loosening the manifold studs a couple of turns.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com