Re: [Mgs] Common Language

To: david_breneman@yahoo.com,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Common Language
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:54:25 -0500
Despite Wikipedia the English language was spoken in Britain long
before anyone landed from foreign shores.  It was subsequently
expanded by adopting words from other languages -  a characteristic
probably unique until the age of computers.  Notice how Wikiwhatsit
describes it

English is a
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages>West Germanic
language originating in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England>England
and is the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_language>first language

The phrase " originating in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England>England " is VERY significant
(and contradictory).  English contains Indian, Chinese, and all sorts
words from other languages.....my god, even Australian !! "Public
School (or BBC) English" came about because of King George's lack of
good English and the court had to speak clearly and annunciate.

At 06:56 PM 1/7/2009, David Breneman wrote:
>Just remember, folks, that English started out as a
>German dialect, and was subsequently polluted with
>French by the nobility.  That's why all the words
>used by commoners are still German, and the words
>used by royalty are French.
>
>Examples:
>
>House = Haus which is German
>Palace = Palais which is French