Re: [Mgs] Common Language

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Common Language
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:39:59 -0800 (PST)
--- On Thu, 1/8/09, Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca> wrote:

> The phrase " originating in
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England>England "
> is VERY significant (and contradictory).

I'd suggest that the fact that English is now a distinct
language makes the clause "originating in England"
self-evident.  The inhabitants of the British Isles
were obviously speaking something before the Romans,
Angels and Saxons arrived, but what we now call
English wasn't it.  They were speaking something
akin to Celtic, and if you compare German and Celtic
to modern English, English is much more German
than Celtic.  But, of course, it's not modern German
any more than Swedish or Norwegian are.