Re: [Mgs] pulling engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] pulling engine
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:46:59 -0600
At 02:44 PM 1/20/2009 -0500, Bob Howard wrote:
>    Some lift off the studs to which the rocker cover is secured.
> That is the way MG installed engines; the lifting tab is still in
> place on many engines.
>    Manifold and water pump studs are much larger than the rocker
> cover studs,

Not so.  Manifold and water pump bolts on the Austin B-series engines
are the same size as the rocker cover studs (5/16-inch), and those
horizontal bolts would be loaded sideways for lifting rather than in
tension.  Lots of people use the rocker cover studs for lifting with
no problem.  In fact I don't recall ever hearing of anyone having any
problem with the strength of those studs for lifting, so I suspect
any advise to the contrary is just superstition.