Re: [Mgs] A few electrical things stopped working...77 MGB

To: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] A few electrical things stopped working...77 MGB
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:54:32 +0100
Firstly, get yourself a good wiring diagram - you'll get nowehere without
it!  Somewhere on the 'net someones made up some colour wiring diagrams that
are much better and easier to use than the B/W ones in the workshop
manuals.  I can't remember the link, but I'll e-mail my copy to anyone who
asks!

All the items you mention are protected by the same fuse, one of the main
fuses.  As others have said, just 'cos the fuse looks good doesn't mean all
is well.  Give the fuse and it's clamps a good rub with sandpaper /
wet'n'dry so you've got clean shiny metal.  Squeeze the clamps together a
bit, so they grip the fuse well.  Similarly clean and tighten the spade
connectors on either side.  There's a good chance this'll fix it.

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

2009/5/19 Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>

> Hello all,
> Two years ago, I had my mechanic (I do about half the work on the
> car when I have time) do a bit of work on the wiring in my 77MGB.  The
> lights
> were weak and a few other problems that I can't remember.  He basically
> replaced a bunch of connectors and everything worked for a year or so.
>
> Late
> last year, a few things stopped working....the blinkers, the tach, the temp
> guage, the horn, the fuel guage.  I have it out of storage for the year and
> would like to get these things working.
>
> With two little kids, I don't have
> time to troubleshoot this so I may bring it back to him.  However, I did
> look
> in the book and it looks like there are a few in line fuses, but I can't
> seem
> to find them in the tangled mess of wires under the hood.  I think they may
> bit in a large bundle of taped up mess that I haven't touched in the 12
> years
> I've owned the car.
>
> The question is if it is likely a fuse or a bad ground
> somewhere.  If a fuse, is it an inline?  The fuses in the block are fine.
> seem to remember there are fusable links somewhere as well.
>
> I seem to have
> forgotten much about the wiring...more soccer games and baseball games on
> Saturdays than working on the car in the last 6 years.
>
> Any thoughts would be
> appreciated.
>
> Tom
> 77MGB
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of
mgb.pdf]