Re: [Mgs] Fitting a radio

Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fitting a radio
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:00:36 -0700
On May 22, 2009, at 7:20 AM, Barrie Robinson wrote:

> I want to put in a radio in my MGB and, of course. I have the usual
> space in the centre console, but it is the location of the speakers
> that puzzle me.  Seems as if the doors are the most common spot but
> I like that not because of the door/body connection required.   It
> would seem that the wing space to the left (or right) of ones knees
> (forward of the door opening) would be perfect.  Tons of room,
> simple route to radio, and easily fitted.  However, nowhere have I
> seen this place mentioned.  Is there some reason why this place
> should be not a good idea?

There is really no great place to stick speakers in an MG.  The door
location directs the sound at your knees, not your head, so the sound
is hit or miss.  The shelf works relatively well, but high frequencies
get muffled by the wind and the top.

The footwell location is like the doors, except the speakers are
pointing at your feet, rather than your knees.

For now, my approach has been to put 3-way 6x9 speakers in boxes as
small as I can find and put them on the rear shelf.  Be sure to get
speakers that can do whatever they can to present the high frequency
sound as well as possible.

Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to discretely mount tweeters in
the dash, which I think would solve my complaints.  Alternatively, I
could throw away my freshly-refurbished seats and get a pair of Miata
seats with the headrest speakers.  Has anybody ever tried to modify
the MG headrest to embed speakers?