Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS

To: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:35:42 -0600
-----Original Message-----

Actually, you're asking the wrong question.
The answer to the
question you should be asking
is "Linux."   :-)

-------

To this, I would say - only if you don't want an answer.

I have dabbled quite a bit with Linux the past few years, ironically I
think it is mostly because of this list and a previous discussion that
mentioned Ubuntu a year or two ago. I have been impressed on some of the
recent advances with Linux and am now running one computer, two laptops
and some virtual machines with Linux, mostly using Debian (similar to
Ubuntu but I like it better). But invariably I end up fighting a bug
with some sort of a workaround or going to the Linux discussion groups
only to find no answers thus limiting how far I can get into Linux. In a
way, Linux is not too different from MGBs in that it can involve a lot
of dabbling or tuning, a catharsis of sorts.

Funny too that Barrie's question on increasing performance, I could
apply to my latest venture with Debian Lenny. Its running on a 64 bit
dual boot, 4 GB RAM with Win2008 Server as the other OS. Linux boots up
fine but programs are slow to load afterwards, i.e. IceWeasel (Firefox)
where I click on it a couple of times with no response then 10-15
seconds later, I get several windows pop up at the same time. Not so
with the Windows part. I had the same problem but worse with Mandrake
several years ago so I abandoned it (figured it was the computer I had).
Not so this time since I have a dual boot to compare. Is there a fix for
that, to get better responsiveness out of Linux?

Linux has some benefits but I would only recommend it to fairly computer
literate people with time on their hands to play with it (unless they
are doing the bare minimum of tasks, say web access only). It is pretty
cool you can run the Linux OS off a CD or even install the entire OS
with some floppies and a network connection. But at the end of the day,
I still need Windows when it comes to handling all my computer desires
and programs even though I have tried the other alternatives - Linux and
Mac. They are closing the gap admittedly but not quite.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
73 B