Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS

To: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS
From: "Glenfel" <glenfel@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:13:51 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Yup - David says it all for Linux/Unix; he is a sysadmin.  For most of us,
the learning curve on Unix for neophytes is far too steep and, with no
centralized, standardized support, getting some drivers and/or apps
installed is an impossible process.  As always, if you love something and
have developed an intuitive feel for it, you can make it dance to any tune
you like.  Any system or process that sings to us will make us more
productive than one that doesn't.  I have friends who are Mac mavens who can
compute circles around us in graphic arts and, as the Mac is Unix-based (yes
 you can write Unix scripts for it!) a Mac user with experience can make it
work miracles.  However, as well as Mac's network with eachother, they don't
network well with other OS's, a notable limitation. Unix/Linux does network
well with other OS's and, surprisingly, in my experience, so does Windows,
with the notable exception of some advanced functions in Vista and what is
coming on line soon, Windows 7, known in less advanced circles as
Super-Vista", an oxymoron if there ever was one.