Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS

To: Glenfel <glenfel@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OFF TOPIC - COMPUTERS
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:08:05 -0700
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Glenfel<glenfel@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Yup - David says it all for Linux/Unix; he is a sysadmin.  For most of us,
> the learning curve on Unix for neophytes is far too steep

My experience is radically different. I gave my daughter an IBM laptop
running Ubuntu Linux to take to university. She is not particularly
computer savvy, yet she finds the laptop easy to use. I have asked her
many times about any difficulties and she hasn't had any significant
problem either to learn how to use the laptop or with using it.

For my other daughter, I set up a dial-boot Linux/Windows machine.
Setting up Linux took a matter of about 1 hour, including installation
of all the applications. The Linux CD recognized and installed drivers
for all the hardware automatically. Setting up Windows took a couple
of days -- tracking down drivers, installing first Windows, then
Office and all the other utilities that she needs, then updating it.

The only reason to use Windows is for a few functions that are not
supported under Linux -- mobile phone software, for example. Later
iPods are not supported under Linux, so when her present iPod dies,
she will get an MP3 player from another manufacturer.

Simon