Re: [Mgs] positive to negative ground

To: dontoy@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] positive to negative ground
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:38:10 -0400
  It's easy to do, though if all you need is power sockets for cel phone
& other plug-in consumers, it is easier to install their sockets wired
for Neg earth than to convert the car.
  To install the sockets, just be sure that socket is isolated from the
car ( wooden block, insulation, etc) then wire the pos center post to the
car's pos somewhere and the neg shell of the socket to the car's neg
somewhere (near fuse connect with its own fuse would be OK).
  Check Barney Gaylord's and Paul Hunt's sites for information about
connecting a radio, as earthing dissimilar devices is beyond me.
  To reverse polarity of the TF you reverse battery leads ( may find
different sizes on cable ends), reverse wires on ammeter, "spark" the
dynamo, and change the coil wires ( worth checking these whether you
reverse polarity or not, as they are frequently incorrect).  And, if you
have transistor/diode modification to the clock, have it re-done to the
new polarity.
Bob

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:37:22 -0400 "DONALD TOY" <dontoy@comcast.net>
writes:
> Sages of the List,
> I know this has been covered time and time again, however I'd be
> pleased to
> hear the particulars one more time in detail. That way if I decide
> to go ahead
> with it I have a smaller chance of screwing it up. What is the
> procedure for
> changing over from positive ground to negative ground? I have a 1954
> MG TF. I
> may want to install a radio and put a 12 Volt power socket for cell
> phone
> charging etc.
> Thanks in Advance,
> Don Toy
> 1954 MG TF
> Various Saabs of early 90's vintage
> Volvo S40 ( cash for clunkers replacement )
> F250 King Ranch (currently visiting me with 2 horses home from
> college)
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFoYeLy5bjxdLkXhb55qG7bM5xFrAhsm6t9uXdYwavx5Rkbp8jp6I/