Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:12:46 -0800
My MGB has been suffering from what seems to be fuel delivery problems, so I
just attempted this test. I attached a length of spare hose to the exit of
the fuel filter and ran it onto an open container (a measuring cup from the
kitchen). It was only a US pint container, so I didn't expect to be able to
run for a full minute.

When switched on, it started off fast, filling about 2/3 cup in less than 15
seconds. But then it stopped all by itself, so I switched off after 30
seconds.

If this is what it has been doing in operation, it would completely explain
the symptoms. After driving at freeway or expressway speed for a few miles,
the engine would sputter and lose power. After pulling over, I would hear
the fuel pump kick back in, and after a minute, I could accelerate away
smartly. In city traffic, it never had a problem, presumably because sitting
at idle at traffic lights would give the pump a chance to catch up.

This is a replacement SU pump from Moss that I only installed in late 2006.
Its predecessor failed in a similar manner, but only after at least 25 and
possibly 40 years.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149