Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:19:59 -0600
Ah-ha.  If this is a points type pump a couple years old, I have some
detailed information that may explain this mode of failure
(maybe).  A friend ran into this probelm with a Moss supplied points
type fuel pump almost two years ago.  With the electrical end open on
the bench it was easy enough to see why it was going whacky, and
customer credit was proffered for the defective part.

Until now this was a single isolated incident, no other reports of
similar failure, so no way to know if it was a single bad part or
possible a bad production batch.  As last known Burlen was ignoring
the issue, and distributors would continue to sell the parts as-is
unless there would be more complaints (and significant returns of
course).  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft037.htm

You will have to open the electrical end of the pump (remove cover
for inspection).  Do tell if you may find the same fault here.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com