Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP [now MGB]
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:29:28 -0000
Very interesting, although *in theory* the pump should operate for many
years with just one contact.  But maybe the twist is such that it is
preventing even one contact closing properly.  Or maybe the MOV isn't as
effective at quenching as the diode was, which was better than the
capacitor, and the single working contact is burning and insulating.  The
theory of the two is that if one burns and insulates it will still get the
mechanical rubbing action which will eventually clean it again, but it does
need both to make contact enough to lift both sides of the fixed contact a
little at least.

But before removing and opening up the pump do check that you have 12v
between the two spades on the pump, i.e. it isn't an electrical failure
elsewhere.

PaulH.