Re: [Mgs] Bad parts / Brake Master Cylinder

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,<Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Bad parts / Brake Master Cylinder
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:12:53 -0500
Folks,

I have bitter experience of British strikes of the 50s - thus my
gnarled comments.  As importers of British products in the Far East
we got so impacted by British strikes (dockers, auto parts suppliers,
auto manufacturers, engineering manufactures) that we looked
elsewhere and guess who steeped into the breach?   You guessed
it!  Germany.   The taste continued into the mid 50s when I handled
LandRovers and BSA motorcycles into Borneo.

Anyway, enough of this - I am back at looking into making
polyurethane bushes (SilentBloc) for my current restoration project -
so I will send out a separate call for help !

At 03:57 AM 1/21/2010, Paul Hunt wrote:
>That version is new to me.  The Mini was designed and launched in
>the late 50s, years before the problems of strikes.  The way I heard
>it Ford looked at the car closely at launch and reckoned it cost
>more to make than its selling price, which BL denied.  Whether it
>was or not, it made good knocking copy so Ford put the story round
>anyway, and it was converted years later by the inevitable knockers
>to 'it never made a profit'.  Strikes affected all car production of
>course not just the Mini.  I'm sure there were strikes at suppliers
>from time to time, but the biggest problem by far was production
>strikes, which rendered second sourcing irrelevant.  The
>hypothetical sons of Red Robbo and his ilk do indeed work at Nissan,
>Honda and Toyota, but they certainly don't carry on in the same way,
>those factories are up there with the most productive in the world.
>
>PaulH.

Regards

Barrie
(705) 721-9060