Re: [Mgs] Cuba

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Cuba
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:42:25 -0600
According to wikipedia:  Boyeros is one of the 15
municipalities or boroughs in the city of
Havana.  The municipality was created in 1976,
and amalgamated the town of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Las_Vegas>Santiago
de Las Vegas. It lies on the south-west side of
the city and extends towards the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mart%C3%AD_International_Airport>Josi
Martm International
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mart%C3%AD_International_Airport>Airp
ort.

Santiago de Las Vegas is south of the airport
with some farm land in between.  I found a map here:
http://www.maplandia.com/cuba/ciudad-de-la-habana/rancho-boyeros
  . . This should have a blue pointer east of the
airport that will be fairly close to our point of interest.

Calzada de Bejucal is part of a road numbered
"289" running north-east from the east end of the
airport.  Continue on 289 as the name changes to
Pje Stgo.  Then continue on 287 (Habana)  a few
more blocks.  Turn left (north) onto 102 (Sta
Rosa) until it crosses the river.  Then turn left
(west) onto Calabazar and go two blocks to Canas.

Canas and Calabazar are intersecting street names
just on the north side of the Rio Verde (river or
canal) about in line with 112 Espada (which is on
the south side of the river).  If this is the
right place, this may have it nailed down within a city block or so.

I suspect that Celedonio Bernal is the name of
his father or uncle, likely owner of the
residence at this address.  "Morro y Calzada de
Bejucal" (loosely translated by Babblefish) may
mean "Nose and Road of rattan field".  This may
refer to the street intersection where Canas dead
ends into the through road Calabazar.  Bejucal
(ratan field) may be the name of the prior farm
(field) where the housing division was
build.  All this is educated guesswork on my part.

In January 2003 I attempted to send a couple of
books by snail mail (slow boat).  Expected
delivery time would have been 3 to 6 weeks, but
the package never arived.  If you want to send a
letter, I suggest First Class Air Mail at the
very least.  Give a return snail mail address and
a working e-mail address, and ask for a response.

Barney Gaylord

At 09:21 AM 3/8/2010 -0500, Barrie Robinson wrote:
>I think that is in Havana.  I will send a letter
>but any help here would be appreciated

>At 07:12 PM 3/7/2010, Barney Gaylord wrote:
>>The home address given (several years ago) is:
>>     Celedonio Bernal
>>     #10416 e/ Morro y calzada de bejucal
>>     Las Caqas, Calabazar, Boyeros
>>     Ciudad Habana, CUBA
>>
>>Can anyone interpret this and pinpont it on a map of Havana?

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive