Re: [Mgs] watch your chains

Subject: Re: [Mgs] watch your chains
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:58:36 +0100
Surely this type of chain is *not* suitable for lifting?  From the name
'proof coil' I imagined samples had been tested by a proof test house and
warranted to carry a certain load.

As far as examination goes it's why straps or even ropes are better than
chains for home use.  I realise chains are used commercially but then they
are periodically tested.  A chain only needs one weak link to fail suddenly
and totally, a rope or strap has very many fibres or strands and many can
break before it becomes unsafe, and are easy to spot.  It's why
lifts/elevators use multiple stranded wire cables, at the safety inspections
a sample length is measured off and the number of broken strands counted.
When they reach a certain number the cable is replaced (next time you are in
one imagine all those broken strands above you ...).