Re: [Mgs] watch your chains

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] watch your chains
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 19:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sun, 6/6/10, mgbob@juno.com <mgbob@juno.com> wrote:

>   This is not
often seen, but if you look at old
> movies of cargo handling on
> the
waterfront, that's how cargo was loaded and unloaded
> from ships. We did it

when I was in the navy. It's quite secure and easy to do.

[Please don't take
this as unfriendly, I'm just making a
point enthusiastically...}

I have a
friend who's a stevedore.  He's been working at
the Port of Tacoma (one of the
busiest ports on the eastern
edge of the Pacific Rim) for decades.  Next time
I see him,
I'll ask him how much freight they lift off of container
ships with
ropes.  :-)

I'm not trying to be sarcastic (well, maybe just a little),
but
there's a difference between doing what's expedient and
what's safe.  People
leave themselves open to all kinds of
dangers in the military that aren't
accepted in everyday
life, and I'm second to no one in my respect and
admiration
for you for serving your country in such a selfless way.
In WWII,
my dad learned how to fly plywood gliders for
the invasion of Japan.  If I was
planning a trip to Tokyo
today, I would not book passage on a plywood glider.
Same kind of thing.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75