Re: [Mgs] Ultimate "top down" cap?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Ultimate "top down" cap?
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sun, 6/27/10, Phil Bacon <pboldtrix@juno.com> wrote:

> C'mon
guys.......those caps shown in
> the link are not beanies or tocques!

They're Stocking Caps
>   I was issured one when I was in the Navy, 50 years

ago.  Mine was wool, fit
> tightly and itched like hell!
>   And no, they
won't come off during top down
> driving.

When I think of a tuque (a toque is
a chef's hat), I think
of a coarsely knit wool hat, frequently with a poofy
ball
on top.  I associate them with parkas, sleds, snowball
fights, and Bob
and Doug McKenzie.

Up until a few months ago, I was also clear in my mind
that
a beanie was a king-size yarmulke with a plastic propeller
on top.
Definitely not knit.  Maybe made of felt or some
similar stiff fabric.

But
recently, I heard some colleagues describing a
finely-knit cap (like a
stocking cap), too short to
roll up the brim to any degree, of the type worn
by
rappers, etc., as a "beanie".  That was news to me.

The hats in the
picture look like stocking caps.  The
thing that sets a stocking cap off from
a tuque in my
experience is that it's woven much finer, like a woven
shirt. A
tuque is woven coarser, like a heavy sweater.
I suppose you could describe the
"beanie nouveau" as a
short, brimless stocking cap.

Mgs@autox.team.net