Re: [Mgs] Fuses

To: "'Glenn Schnittke'" <g.schnittke@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fuses
From: "Vance Navarrette" <v.navarrette@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 19:53:42 -0700
        Glenn:

        The 32v rating simply means that it is an automotive type fuse -
it does not affect the current rating of the fuse.

        As for the actual current rating, it depends on whether it is a
British fuse or a US fuse.

        British fuses are rated using the German DIN standard, which
specifies the BLOW current of the fuse. US fuses use the Underwriters
Laboratories rating, which specifies the maximum safe current the fuse
will pass WITHOUT blowing.

        To translate between British and US fuses, multiply the British
rating by 0.5. So a 35 amp British fuse is equivalent to a 17.5 amp US
fuse, which apparently has been rounded down to 15 amps at some point.

        DO NOT substitute a 35 amp US fuse for a 35 amp British fuse.
Doing so will probably set your wiring on fire.

        So *IF* the 35 amp fuse is British it is legitimate and safe.
*IF* the fuse is a US fuse, you are risking a fire and should
immediately replace the fuse with one of a proper rating.

        Most hacks behind the counter of auto parts stores do not know
this, so don't trust your average parts jockey to tell you which is
which. Hint: US fuses are 1.25" long, British fuses are 1.17" long so
they are slightly different sizes. Not enough to cause an issue when you
use one in place of the other, but certainly enough that when laid side
by side you can see the difference.

        Cheers,

        Vance