Re: [Mgs] Fuses

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fuses
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:14:43 -0500
Interesting take Paul, but normally an overrating is an unpublished
overrating. Normally a design factor is built into any mechanical or
electrical device so that when the user plugs in his numbers, the
numbers stand a better chance of working than if the published numbers
are really at the limit of performance. Typically the NEC will rate a
certain number of a particular gauge wires allowed in a certain size
conduit with a specific percentage chopped of the top in order to ensure
that in case of overload, the installation should not fail. I would be
VERY surprised if the TRUE fail load was stamped on the fuse.

On rigging equipment the actual fail value is never stamped on the
equipment. There is always a design factor built into the load limit
even if the manufacturer is China or Taiwan. My take on buying Chinese
rigging bits is that I build a design factor of 5 to 1 from the stated
working load limit and never buy Chinese if I'm working with live loads
or flying people.

I'm trying to come to this same understanding of fuse design and rating.
I have noticed that no one has addressed Ohm's Law. I've been inundated
at work and putting up what turned out to be a very successful car show
this weekend in Nashville and can't wrap my head around it.

Will a fuse rated for 15 amps at 32 volts blow at about the same energy
level as a fuse rated for 35 amps at 12 volts?

Glenn

--

Glenn Schnittke

g.schnittke@comcast.net