[Mgs] [Mg-t] TD shifter rattle

Subject: [Mgs] [Mg-t] TD shifter rattle
From: mgbob at juno.com (mgbob at juno.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:50:57 GMT
Hi Mike,
  There are a couple of places in the remote linkage where the rattle can
originate.  Lew replied that the RPM affects the rattle, something that Lawrie
Alexander noted also.
   If it's a clear-sounding rattle, it's probably external.  A bronze bushing
in the remote shifter rod can wear, allowing the rod to rattle with an
annoying, clear sound.  The bushing would be a simple press out and in, except
to get to it you first must remove the shift lever.
   "You can't put a square peg into a round hole"  MG could, and did. The
pounded square pegs into the round holes of the casting, the pegs fitting into
slots milled into the lever. Lawrie describes some hook device that one can
make to remove the pegs.  He could; I couldn't.
  I move the timing around to get the rattle at the least objectionable rpm
range.
Bob