[Mgs] [Mg-t] TD shifter rattle

Subject: [Mgs] [Mg-t] TD shifter rattle
From: mgbob at juno.com (mgbob at juno.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:33:17 GMT
  That seems a good way to do it, far less likely to crack the casting that
pounding pins out and in.   For the MGB all syncro gearbox, and perhaps for
others too, the shift lever was retained with bolts from the side. The bolts
were threaded into the casting, and their projecting tip was without thread,
poking into the slots of the lever.  While it did require tapping two holes at
the factory, it would seem that there would be a smaller chance of cracking
the casting when assembling.   A club member has just offered a TD gearbox to
our club, a take-out from a five-speed conversion.  It's in my garage now. I
will take a look at it and see how the MGB tapping method would work.Bob