Re: [Mgs] Seat Belts

To: Don <don@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Seat Belts
From: Murray Arundell <arundell@ghs.com.au>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:05:07 +1000
I agree entirely with you..... this is however one of the things that stagger
me.  The Insurance Companies and Lawyers seem to be able to empty the parks of
playgyms and the like yet they standby and allow people to drive without seat
belts and helmets..... No consistency there.....

On 03/07/2011, at 9:40 AM, Don wrote:

> As much as I hate the government meddling in my life in certain ways, I
don't mind it when I am protected from corporate malfeasance such as toxins in
my food or pollution in the air I breathe.
> Seat belt requirements, like motorcycle helmet laws, not only protect the
individual, they result in less of a burden on society in general as there are
less disabled people to deal with.  Same with cigarette taxes and warning ads,
but with tobacco there is some collateral damage.
> However, when you can't even find playground equipment to buy because of
liability laws, the state has really gone too far.

> At 03:16 PM 7/2/2011, The Roxter wrote:
>> On 7/2/2011 4:41 PM, Murray Arundell wrote:
>>> OK I'll open up a can of worms here..... why is it that Americans were so
>>> opposed to mandatory wearing of seat belts?  European, Australians, and
pretty
>>> well everyone else in the world just accepted it because it was
>>> sensible......
>>>
>>> Murray Arundell
>>> Brisbane Australia
>> Sensible, yes. Within the proper purview of government, NO! Not wearing
seatbelts does not endanger anybody else, only ones self. Americans tend to be
opposed to meddling nannies telling us how to live, or at least we used to
be.

>> -Rocky Frisco
>> --

Murray G. Arundell