[Mgs] Seat Belts

Subject: [Mgs] Seat Belts
From: arundell at ghs.com.au (Murray Arundell)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:02:06 +1000
The only problem with this concept of unfetted personal freedom and no
intervention by Government is that this works when every citizen approaches
life from a responsible direction.  As we know, this does not happen.  However
to address the notion that failure to wear a seat belt only endangers the
non-wearer demonstrates a complete lack of understand of what happens in a car
crash.......   Imagine you are the driver of a sedan carrying three
passengers, one beside you in the front seat, two in the rear.  You are
wearing a seatbelt, the others are not.  Guess what happens when you crash
into a stationary object at say 30mph.  Your car is wrecked and every body is
killed..... even you wearing the seat belt because you are crushed by 100lbs
of human being smashed into your skull from behind because they were not
restrained.  Now please tell me how the irresponsible decision of the back
seat passenger has not endangered anyone else?  You're Dead and the guy behind
you that has killed you quite likely survived because your body has taken his
impact and stopped him going through the windshield.....

As I said, flawed if not stupid logic.....

Murray Arundell

On 03/07/2011, at 8:16 AM, The Roxter wrote:

> On 7/2/2011 4:41 PM, Murray Arundell wrote:
>> OK I'll open up a can of worms here..... why is it that Americans were so
>> opposed to mandatory wearing of seat belts?  European, Australians, and
pretty
>> well everyone else in the world just accepted it because it was
>> sensible......
>>
>> Murray Arundell
>> Brisbane Australia
> Sensible, yes. Within the proper purview of government, NO! Not wearing
seatbelts does not endanger anybody else, only ones self. Americans tend to be
opposed to meddling nannies telling us how to live, or at least we used to
be.