[Mgs] Seat Belts

Subject: [Mgs] Seat Belts
From: david_breneman at yahoo.com (David Breneman)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 16:08:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sat, 7/2/11, WSpohn4 at aol.com <WSpohn4 at aol.com> wrote:

> So Americans
hate being told what to
> do to the extent that they will even
> ignore the
right thing to do just because someone else told
> them to do it?

Not just
"someone" but the government.  There is a firm
conviction amongst most
Americans that the government
exists for the convenience of the people, not
the other
way around.  The government is an appliance, like a dish
washer or
garbage disposal.  I pay for it to do the things
I don't have the time or
inclination to do, and nothing
more.  I like my refrigerator.  I'm happy to
pay for it's
services.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to let it tell
me what
to do.

> Seems a bit pig-headed to those of us from other countries,
> given
that
> compliance with a law like that saves millions of dollars
> in health
care every year.

And that's exactly the point.  Government can demand that
you do anything under the excuse that it will save the
government money.  Wear
a seat belt.  Wear a helmet.  Don't
eat fast food.  Turn down your thermostat.
Calisthenics
time, comrade citizen!