Re: [Mgs] '71 MGB Prop/drive shaft bolts and nuts -- use Nylok or regula

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] '71 MGB Prop/drive shaft bolts and nuts -- use Nylok or regular nuts?
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:45:22 -0700
Cc: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=TpWFVL/V3EGKIUAYhGyIcbb/xkgtZ+rrwPqQG4ut9No=; b=LOh7h66KmGB25rAJKlWS1QAS19taSVfQoKGOwe9QzITQ7O0EZ5QPSC5fVSpCofacOh 2mv5dSKmtuQl5RgCUNZyQqHkuPAJn+ZXzzvqsvLou9Eg+PkYUp05jaXysf2Mq+6aTfG0 H+0sH9IqYuVk3+IlUu8eVFdmMBJWNwEllS59T0aRW4pBbM1p7O/FOGMtYFlhvbAJ2X1a Kqo0vwsg8mJAMojQZI54kAqU/44DtBfmhDkC9hfzpwwTr+sKFQt1p/4BLz6RpayohK7D 0IcvOAgprJORyYHTdVWhxG9yo4tFrnMNTLnFYSKl4wyMaZJpLp2JZyfb4mOmqeIfgmw8 YqQA==
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

> You are correct, see here - http://tinyurl.com/brsangn.  The bolts can
> only be removed/fitted once the gearbox flange has been removed from the
> shaft. Nylocs are probably at least as good as plain nuts even with
> spring-washers.

Just as well that we did not have to cut any of the nuts off (and the bolt
with it) as we had to do for one of the bolts at the rear end of the
propshaft.

While on this subject, what is the best way to jack up the car for this
project? I put the car on ramps, but found that we had to turn a wheel in
order to gain access to two of the bolts at the rear. Hence we hacked up
one wheel off the ramp, turned the wheel and dropped it back onto the ramp.
Not something that I really wanted to do. Also, jacking up the body of the
car and letting the rear axle drop would give better access to the rear
propshaft nuts. But where to put the jackstands?

Simon