Re: [Mgs] '71 MGB Prop/drive shaft bolts and nuts -- use Nylok or regula

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] '71 MGB Prop/drive shaft bolts and nuts -- use Nylok or regular nuts?
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:04:35 -0700
Cc: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=TemgMOzq3Vqo11cgAmjvU98v8+lAv8vGbmzz70ZZAws=; b=nqp2dLJYJjLjJr8kZZ5s2DbHb8UW1ZOQTxa2Zlg7rQ0KKayIqbh6IF73zh2fk5V7Gd XYOk5Rk1JKyuqNGdiTyGtN5pDdYJyPJ6zs0MBwru3mkyFkEJAuoLEQ80qheDZ47bYfMy fqrdYFWaQUHWYbdlSIYJOLRQ/4wQ+bDiCcqU6E9nSaPAWxm1rSQ4EZFhL3ZEXIGKqZpV FExKFHQ/bp/3hs6669FwJuvAOMF5QGuKFHA/xXrhQhA1bt/Umiqypk+HldLgFC5vOkgq /56H0vTcuUZfKjRZcQ3LsBsYe9b4ewNo1qI+OnA6Vhz1yXsvdNE6SEPCHj2y9kVaHjHX Gy2g==
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:

> **
> I drive it onto ramps then jack under one spring bottom plate when
> greasing the UJs for example.  The jack only needs to go up an inch or so
> for the tyre to clear the ramp, so leaving plenty of room if the jack
> should happen to fail.  This is the *only* time I work under anything
> jacked.  For anything needing the axle hanging down the stands go under the
> front hangers, but you do need to be aware that if the rebound straps fail
> the axle will drop further.  Ramps and a jack raising a wheel if a wheel
> needs to be turned *is* safer.

Safety was the reason I used ramps in the first place. It appears that you
would do somthing similar what I did. The only problem I had was that my
jack would not go high enough to raise the wheel off the ramp, so that  I
had to put the jack on some wood. We did not work under the car like this
-- just jacked up the wheel, turned it, dropped the wheel back on the ramp
and worked on the prop shaft aqain.

Simon