Re: [Mgs] Charging Problems

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Charging Problems
From: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:35:58 -0400
Donald, check to see if your generator is putting out positive voltage.
Maybe the field winding needs to be sparked a few more times.

A few tips:

I've found on my TD that the radiated electrical noise is so bad, I have to
use a "non-electronic" voltmeter to measure the battery voltage when the
motor is running. Any meter that has transistors or vacuum tubes gives bogus
readings. Perhaps this is due to the steel plug wires and non-resistor spark
plugs? The interference to a radio must be massive!

You probably already know that a generator shows a discharge at idle.

Ammeters are fine, but I think a voltmeter gives a better indication of the
charging situation. If you get a reading between 13 and 14 volts running
down the road with the headlights on, the charging system is probably OK.
(My stock Lucas voltage regulator was set at 16 volts, and the shop manual
seems to support this voltage. But this is way too high. I backed mine down
to 14 volts.)

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@comcast.net
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639