Re: [Mgs] new muffler

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] new muffler
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:38:35 -0500
I've gotten into the habit of synching not just the idle but the fast
idle as well. I've run across a number of cars recently that the regular
linkage was spot on and the choke linkage was way out of whack. Check
that when you pull the choke both jets are moving about the same
distance. Thousandths of an inch here aren't important. If they are
within 1/16" on full choke  that should be close enough. And make sure
the jets aren't lowered while you're on fast idle alone. As you let the
choke in, the jets should find home before the fast idle screws leave
the cam and while they're on the cam they should be in synch. I hope
that all makes sense. Had a B in a few weeks ago that had a screwed up
choke linkage on the back carb to the point that there was a good 1/4"
difference between the jet depths on full choke.

That can make a difference on cold running. The only other thing I can
think of that would affect cold starts is valve adjustment. If one or
two valves are on the edge they might be opening fine when hot but not
so much when cold. That's my two cents worth and I can't find a cent key
on my computer. What good is this thing?

Glenn

Message: 5