[Mgs] Pertronix distributor on a 1980 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Pertronix distributor on a 1980 B
From: Peter Schauss <rpschauss@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 14:21:10 -0400
My car has the original Lucas electronic ignition with the external
amplifier.  The last couple of times that I pulled the cap off I found some
fine metal shavings inside so I suspect that the distributor bushings are
worn.  In any event, I am considering replacing it with a Pertronix
distributor.

Based on what I have read in the archives it looks like the distributor
itself wants 12 volts. My car has a 6 volt coil (recently installed,
correct part number) with a ballast resistor in the loom and a 12 volt feed
from the starting relay.  Is there a way for me to wire it with the
existing coil and relay setup or should I just buy a 12 volt coil and
bypass the ballast resistor and relay?

My car runs with dual HS4s which, I believe, gives me ported vacuum.  What
should I set the timing to?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
1980 MGB