Re: [Mgs] Pertronix distributor on a 1980 B

To: "Peter Schauss" <rpschauss@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Pertronix distributor on a 1980 B
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 08:29:35 +0100
Use the existing coil and wiring but instead of picking up the 12v supply
for the Pertronix from the coil +ve, which would be normal for a 12v set-up,
pick it up from another unfused ignition source such as the white/browns at
the front of the second fuse up in the fusebox.

You mention starter relay but you probably mean ignition relay, and you
wouldn't bypass that in any event, even if you fitted a 12v coil and
bypassed the ballast resistance.  There is no good reason to do that anyway,
the 6v coil performs better, runs cooler, and the ballasted system can make
the difference between starting and not starting.

Timing is the same regardless of what vacuum source you have, under all
running conditions the two are exactly the same.  Only at idle are they
different.

PaulH.