Re: [Mgs] LED instrument lights

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] LED instrument lights
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 18:27:06 -0700
Authentication-results: cox.net; auth=pass (PLAIN) smtp.auth=stargazer1@cox.net a=i8R6LIFugRsntrNuD6f+dg==:117 a=i8R6LIFugRsntrNuD6f+dg==:17 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=mHr6GJ5fAAAA:8 a=FBHGMhGWAAAA:8 a=76gHusYoAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=kviXuzpPAAAA:8 a=argl365jixliIaNOshwA:9 a=-61Y1B1Kh4CORtHb:21 a=gXZrckN63FGhNBXt:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=Ng87P3CCH6Eo-NLfAkAA:9 a=Hvtiw9LWLku0M2Lw:21 a=m4XjLvGQnhRFSEGv:21 a=DBswqF3Iu3PTkERy:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=N127T80v9oXcZuUJjtVr:22 a=9gvnlMMaQFpL9xblJ6ne:22 a=NVHof6-Si1rO7PjCNMCe:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=qrIFiuKZe2vaD64auk6j:22

--------------6695586058C293EFA11E71B8

They draw a lot less current than the bulbs they replace. You could dim
them, but you'd need a different rheostat. Like the electronic flashers,
electronic dimmers are insensitive to the load current.

On 7/7/2020 1:37 PM, Max Heim wrote:
> [...]
>
> Although the bulbs are advertised as â??dim-ableâ?? in my experience they
> are either on or off â?? full brightness or not visible. It could very
> well be that a electronic dimmer is required, and they don't â??dimâ??
> with the old-fashioned rheostat.
>
> The tail and stop lamps take a different base, and one would want the
> largest/brightest unit available. I installed the ones offered by Moss
> Motors.
>
> I tried the LEDs offered by Moss for the front turn indicators, but
> they didnâ??t work on my car â?? they were too long. When I tightened down
> the lens screws, it pressed the bulb down into the socket, cutting off
> the current. Later I figured out that I could have doubled up on the
> foam gaskets and prevented this.
>
> Note that using LEDs in the turn signal circuit requires one to
> install a electronic flasher unit.
>
> LED headlamp conversions are a more complex subject which I have not
> investigated.
>

> --
> Max Heim
>

>> On Jul 7, 2020, at 12:49 PM, Barrie Robinson <barrob@bell.net
>>
>> Hello Max,
>>
>> That is brilliant (sorry for the pun!)
>>
>> Did you by any chance get LEDs for rear brakes and turn bulbs or
>> elsewhere ?  You don't do the turn ones but I think brighter would be
>> better. Do you have reference number for them and brakes ???- I
>> looked at my bulbs but no numbers !!!! The only place I would not use
>> LEDs is the head light - too expensive.
>>
>> But one thing - it says you can dim with normal rheostat as used
>> originally.   I /must/ use a 'inverter' from SpeedHut to dim my
>> speedo and tach - So does that mean I keep the currently installed
>> dimmer with the LEDLight bulbs and add another dimmer for the
>> SpeedHuts ?  Actually that's sort of sexy - individual dimming  - wow
>> !!!!!
>>
>> Your information was a relief as I was humming and harring about what
>> to get!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Barrie
>>

>> On 7/7/2020 1:00 PM, Max Heim wrote:
>>> I bought these LEDs for the instruments in my 1966 B, from
>>> LEDLight.com <http://ledlight.com/>.
>>>
>>> Product ID 57567
>>> #1487 Miniature Bulb E10 Base 5 5050 12V Dim-able T3 1/4
>>> Color: Warm White 3000K
>>> $2.42 ea.
>>>
>>> Note that there are brighter bulbs, but they contain more LED
>>> elements and are longer, and will not fit in the fuel or combo gauge
>>> locations. The number after the word â??Baseâ?? indicates the number of
>>> elements. The next size would be a â??9â??.
>>>
>>> I chose Warm White to simulate the color of the incandescent bulbs.
>>> I had tried the Bright White bulbs but I didn't like the effect â?? it
>>> was slightly bluish and actually tended to wash out the lettering on
>>> the gauges.
>>>
>>> I did not use LEDs in the turn signal indicators because I didn't

  <head>
  </head>
      could dim them, but you'd need a different rheostat. Like the
      electronic flashers, electronic dimmers are insensitive to the
      load current. <br>
      cite="mid:13595AA0-9B2F-44A8-8BE9-13CB156C00AB@sonic.net">
      I used these bulbs just for the instrument panel lamps. The
      instrument panel turn signal indicators would take the same bulb.
        my experience they are either on or off â?? full brightness or not
        visible. It could very well be that a electronic dimmer is
        required, and they don't â??dimâ?? with the old-fashioned rheostat.<br
          class="">
          one would want the largest/brightest unit available. I
          installed the ones offered by Moss Motors.</div>
          turn indicators, but they didnâ??t work on my car â?? they were
          too long. When I tightened down the lens screws, it pressed
          the bulb down into the socket, cutting off the current. Later
          I figured out that I could have doubled up on the foam gaskets
          and prevented this.</div>
          requires one to install a electronic flasher unit.<br class="">
            subject which I have not investigated.</div>
                  moz-do-not-send="true">mvheim@sonic.net</a></div>
                  Robinson &lt;<a href="mailto:barrob@bell.net"; class=""
                    moz-do-not-send="true">barrob@bell.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:</div>
                    charset=UTF-8" class="">
                        class="" face="Arial">Hello Max,<br class="">
                        That is brilliant (sorry for the pun!)<br
                          class="">
                        Did you by any chance get LEDs for rear brakes
                        and turn bulbs or elsewhere ?  You don't do the
                        turn ones but I think brighter would be better.
                        Do you have reference number for them and brakes
                        ???- I looked at my bulbs but no numbers !!!!
                        The only place I would not use LEDs is the head
                        light - too expensive.   <br class="">
                        But one thing - it says you can dim with normal
                        rheostat as used originally.   I <i class="">must</i>
                        use a 'inverter' from SpeedHut to dim my speedo
                        and tach - So does that mean I keep the
                        currently installed dimmer with the LEDLight
                        bulbs and add another dimmer for the SpeedHuts
                        ?  Actually that's sort of sexy - individual
                        dimming  - wow !!!!!<br class="">
                        Your information was a relief as I was humming
                        and harring about what to get!  <br class="">
                        Cheers<br class="">
                        Barrie<br class="">
                      Max Heim wrote:<br class="">
                      cite="mid:67AE189E-45E3-4A19-8ACE-05B30F14EB30@sonic.net"
                      class="">
                        content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" class="">
                      I bought these LEDs for the instruments in my 1966
                      B, from <a href="http://ledlight.com/"; class=""
                        moz-do-not-send="true">LEDLight.com</a>.
                        12V Dim-able T3 1/4<br class="">
                          bulbs, but they contain more LED elements and
                          are longer, and will not fit in the fuel or
                          combo gauge locations. The number after the
                          word â??Baseâ?? indicates the number of elements.
                          The next size would be a â??9â??.</div>
                          color of the incandescent bulbs. I had tried
                          the Bright White bulbs but I didn't like the
                          effect â?? it was slightly bluish and actually
                          tended to wash out the lettering on the
                          gauges.</div>
                          signal indicators because I didn't see any
                          need for them to be brighter.</div>
                              text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                              text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                              word-spacing: 0px;
                              -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; word-wrap:
                              break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
                              line-break: after-white-space;" class="">
                                text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                                text-transform: none; white-space:
                                normal; word-spacing: 0px;
                                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                                word-wrap: break-word;
                                -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break:
                                after-white-space;" class="">
                                  13px;" class="">--</div>
                                  13px; min-height: 16px;" class="">Max
                                  Heim</div>
                                  13px;" class="">'66 MGB</div>
                                Barrie Robinson &lt;<a
                                  href="mailto:barrob@bell.net"; class=""
                                  moz-do-not-send="true">barrob@bell.net</a>&gt;
                                wrote:</div>
                                  content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
                                  class="">
                                      class="" face="Arial">Hello Folks,<br
                                        class="">
                                      I have installed a SpeedHut speedo
                                      and tacho in my MGB GT V8 (not a
                                      factory one) and they are superb.
                                      But the dimmer does not work on
                                      them.  So I have decided to put
                                      LED bulbs in the remaining four
                                      smaller gauges and this means I
                                      have to install a LED dimmer for
                                      all six gauges.   SpeedHut supply
                                      an LED dimmer but despite many
                                      emails I cannot find how their
                                      dimmer hooks up with their gauges
                                      and my to-be-installed LEDs in the
                                      smaller four. (Probably affected
                                      by the dreaded virus - which we
                                      know is a hoax).  I do not to know
                                      what LED bulbs I get for my 4
                                      small gauges - and I need the new
                                      stronger ones.   I bought LEDs a
                                      while way back and they were no
                                      stronger than the incandescents
                                      !!! <br class="">
                                      So is there anyone who is into
                                      this subject as your help would be
                                      much appreciated.<br class="">
                                      I do hope that all is well with
                                      you and yours.  We are not doing
                                      badly and so far the dreaded lurgy
                                      has not come near us - but taking
                                      super precautions including face
                                      masks.<br class="">
                                      Cheers<br class="">
                                      Barrie<br class="">
_______________________________________________<br class="">
                                  class=""
moz-do-not-send="true">Mgs@autox.team.net</a><br
                                  class="">
                                Donate: <a
                                  class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                                  href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                                  class="">
                                Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br
                                  class="">
                                Archive: <a
                                  class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                                  href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
                                <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                                  href="http://autox.team.net/archive";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br
                                  class="">
                                Unsubscribe: <a
                                  class="moz-txt-link-freetext"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mvheim@sonic.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mvheim@sonic.net</a><br
                                  class="">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/stargazer1@cox.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/stargazer1@cox.net</a>
</pre>

--------------6695586058C293EFA11E71B8--

--===============2888119421823158371==