Re: rear-view mirrors

To: morgans@autox.team.net, LDMcJr@aol.com
Subject: Re: rear-view mirrors
From: "Blair, John" <JBLAIR@hermes.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 07:50:06 GMT+5 (EDT)
LD writes:

> I am in dire need of some information regarding installation of a
> replacement rear-view mirror. My 1971 has a suction cap mirror with a 5 inch
> mirror on it - The rubber suction cap has deteriorated over the years, and
> won't stick. I have not been able to find any replacement mirrors of less
> than 7 inches, which completely block the view on the large windshield, as
> you can imagine.

  From what I can tell, a rear view mirror was an option for a
Morgan.  I've owned my '65 car since '68 and it didn't have a
RVM when I purchased it.  I finally purchased a suction cup
mirror back in '69.  I've seen several cars with the very small
dash mount mirrors.  So either one appears to be valid.

  I had the same problems with the mirror on my '65 4/4.  I really
didn't like the suction cup mirrors.  They had a habbit of falling
off or just not sticking.  What I finally did when I restored my
car ('88-'92) was go to Chrysler and purchased a "current" rear view
mirror /w the day night option and one of the little metal glue on
mounts (total cost approx. $35).  Then I simply glued the mount on and attached
the mirror.

   I will mention that if you do this,  I suggest that you mount the
mirror near the top of the windscreen as the angle for the day/night
appears to be require that.  I mounted mine near the dash board and I
don't get a sharp refection.

  '48 TR1800       '65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
  '75 Bricklin     '77 Spitfire

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843