Re: Handbrake

To: John Leahy <jleahy@owl.csusm.edu>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Handbrake
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:18:02 -0400
At 06:49 PM 6/7/96 -0600, John Leahy wrote:
>Hi there, my fellow frustrated Morgan owner,
>
>I have been pouring money into my '79 Morgan Plus 8 for many years
> now.  I seem to have it running about as well as I expect it was
> designed to run except for the tendancy to over heat--but I have > done
all that can be done in that regard.

> My next frustration is that handbrake assembly.  Please do not
> exhibit Morgan chauvinism--the brake simply does not work no matter
> how it is adjusted.

Ok, I won't.  But I'll tell you the story about this pretty woman I
met at on of the MOGs.  She pulled up in her +8 jumped out with a
couple of pieces of what looked like 4x4s tied together with a rope.
Before she had a chance to do anything with them, fearing that they
might be one of the newfangled types of numchucks, I asked her what
it was for.  She replied, "the emergency brake" and proceeded to place
it around her rear tire.

> Bill Fink of Isis Imports acknowledged as much when he told me that
> the Morgan Motor Company has corrected the problem with the
> handbrake in their new model.  Bill described a series of springs
> which were installed in order to give the handbrake more power to
> make those shoes dig into the drums better.

> Do you have any idea how this new system works?  I am sure you would
> like to upgrade the handbrake in your car too.

As I don't have enough money to get anywhere near a +8, especially a
new one, I'll have to plead ignorance.

> I would like write an article on this for the benifit of the
> Southern California Morgan Club if I could ever figure it out
> myself.

I'd suggest you try hitting on the +8 guys.  If you find anything out
and write the article, send me a copy and I'll put it up on the
Morgan tech. section of SOL.  I assume you've seen it and that's why
you emailed me.  BTW, do you have any parts information on the +8s
like brake info, or anything that's not included in my cross-reference
also posted in the tech section?  If so, please send the info to me
and I'll include it in the cross-reference.

NOTE: to all Morgan owners,  this also applies to you also.  I need more
information on the +8s and pre 60 cars for the cross-ref. file.
If you have any parts info that I don't already have listed, please
send me a copy for the files.

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire