Re: Wire Wheels

To: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: "Bruce E." <insnet@netins.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 08:54:23 -0700
Jeremy Edwards wrote:

> "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net> writes
> >Hey gang,
> >
> >  Got another stupid question.  My 65 4/4 had Chrome wire wheels
> >when I got the car in 69.  I can find documentation that wire
> >wheels were offered from 63 on with the 4/4 Series V.
> >
> >But I can't find any reference as to weither the wheels were
> >painted or chrome.  I've seen both.  I would guess that the
> >chrome was an upgrade but can't prove it.
> >
> >Any body got any more information.
>
> "Original Morgan" says wires were an option for any Series V Morgan 4/4,
> (from 1963). It isn't helpful so far as finish is concerned. Ken Hill's
> book, "Completely Morgan, 4 wheelers 1936-1968" is no help either, but
> says that Series V cars have "spoked" wheels!
>
> As Morgan bought the wheels in, the finish would be the customers
> choice. Back in the early '60s, most owners were a little suspicious of
> chrome, as the process was thought to weaken the metal, so I would guess
> that most wheels will be painted.
> --
> Jeremy Edwards
> 1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str

I'm sorry I'm not able to give a definative answer to the painted/chrome
wire wheel questions; however the 65 4/4 that I owned has chrome wires on
it when I bought it.  (The works record card only indicates "wire Wheels"
w/out any mention of finish.  This could mean that they all left the
factory as painted wheels.)

BTW, If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car; Red body w. black
interior, chassis # B1123, Eng # 5441375,  I would be interested in
repurchasing it.  The last I knew it had been sold to a "bloke" in
Oklahoma.
--
Bruce  E.                                  Life is Way Good! :)
insnet@netins.net..................sort of a palindrome without the .net

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

Karaoke is Japanese for "Tone Deaf".

A bird in the hand can be messy.

A rolling stone gathers momentum.