Re: Wire Wheels

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk (Ben Hodgkiss)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:17:47 +0100 (BST)
> From:           Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
> Subject:        Re: Wire Wheels

> "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net> writes
> >Hey gang,
> >
> >  Got another stupid question.  My 65 4/4 had Chrome wire wheels
> >when I got the car in 69.  I can find documentation that wire
> >wheels were offered from 63 on with the 4/4 Series V.
> >
> >But I can't find any reference as to weither the wheels were
> >painted or chrome.
>
> "Original Morgan" says wires were an option for any Series V Morgan 4/4,
> (from 1963). It isn't helpful so far as finish is concerned. Ken Hill's
> book, "Completely Morgan, 4 wheelers 1936-1968" is no help either, but
> says that Series V cars have "spoked" wheels!

I looked this up in Original Morgan as well. There's a table
detailing the changes in the 4/4's specification over the years which
states that chrome wires became an 'official' option in 1977. Since
this is one of the only times the word 'official' is used, it implies
that chrome wires were unofficially available before this.

Next time I'm at Heart Of England Morgans I'll see if the author,
John Worrall, can clarify.

Ben

1972 4/4