Re: Wire Wheels

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 12:40:06 +0100
"John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net> writes
>Hey gang,
>
>  Got another stupid question.  My 65 4/4 had Chrome wire wheels
>when I got the car in 69.  I can find documentation that wire
>wheels were offered from 63 on with the 4/4 Series V.
>
>But I can't find any reference as to weither the wheels were
>painted or chrome.  I've seen both.  I would guess that the
>chrome was an upgrade but can't prove it.
>
>Any body got any more information.

"Original Morgan" says wires were an option for any Series V Morgan 4/4,
(from 1963). It isn't helpful so far as finish is concerned. Ken Hill's
book, "Completely Morgan, 4 wheelers 1936-1968" is no help either, but
says that Series V cars have "spoked" wheels!

As Morgan bought the wheels in, the finish would be the customers
choice. Back in the early '60s, most owners were a little suspicious of
chrome, as the process was thought to weaken the metal, so I would guess
that most wheels will be painted.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str