Re: Smell of Castrol

To: owner-morgans <owner-morgans@triumph.cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: Re: Smell of Castrol
From: "Joseph DeLuca (201) 540-3759" <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:31:14 -0500 (EST)
>>  A visit to the pits at Road America in the early 60s got me
started on my everlasting affair with "real" sports cars.

>>  Their looks, the sounds an especially their odor.  I loved the
smell of Castrol and used it continuously for over thirty years.
>>  But the smell is gone from Castrol.
>>  Does anyone know how I can recreate that beautiful smell.
>>  I have tried adding 1/2 pint of straight castor oil to my
crankcase, but it didn't do anything.

>>  Does anyone have any ideas?

Unless  your auto burns oil you are not apt to smell the castor oil in
your sump.  You could try adding a wee bit to your fuel for that
nostalgic smell, but don't overdo it.
Pilots of the WW I era were said to get nasty cases of diarrhea from
the castor oil fumes of their planes, but that would mainly be a
concern to those behind you in traffic.

Also, that 1/2 pint of castor oil in your sump may not be a great
idea.  It might have been state-of-the-art in bygone days, but the
viscosity and breakdown characteristics will not give your motor the
protection to which it has become accustomed.

Joe D.
Morgan 4/4
Sparta, NJ