Re: Smell of Castrol

To: "Joseph DeLuca (201) 540-3759" <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Subject: Re: Smell of Castrol
From: Martin Kurrein <mograces@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:55:32 +0100
In message <E437IMB2WBZ9*/R=A1/R=MPMH/U=DELUCAJ/@MHS>, "Joseph DeLuca
(201) 540-3759" <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com> writes
>>>  A visit to the pits at Road America in the early 60s got me
>started on my everlasting affair with "real" sports cars.
>>>
>>>  Their looks, the sounds an especially their odor.  I loved the
>smell of Castrol and used it continuously for over thirty years.
>>>  But the smell is gone from Castrol.
>>>  Does anyone know how I can recreate that beautiful smell.
>>>  I have tried adding 1/2 pint of straight castor oil to my
>crankcase, but it didn't do anything.
>>>
>>>  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Unless  your auto burns oil you are not apt to smell the castor oil in
>your sump.  You could try adding a wee bit to your fuel for that
>nostalgic smell, but don't overdo it.
>Pilots of the WW I era were said to get nasty cases of diarrhea from
>the castor oil fumes of their planes, but that would mainly be a
>concern to those behind you in traffic.
>
>Also, that 1/2 pint of castor oil in your sump may not be a great
>idea.  It might have been state-of-the-art in bygone days, but the
>viscosity and breakdown characteristics will not give your motor the
>protection to which it has become accustomed.
>
>Joe D.
>Morgan 4/4
>Sparta, NJ

I don't know whether Castrol "R" is available in the States, but it is
here - and that lovely odour is regularly sensed at any historic meet.
Martin Kurrein                                The older I get the faster I was.
mograces@mkurrein.co.uk
http://www.mkurrein.co.uk/mog1.html    -      The Morgan Motor Company Challenge