Re: hood alignment

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: hood alignment
From: Martin Kurrein <mograces@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:19:48 +0100
In message <199609170117.VAA31573@marlin.exis.net>, "John T. Blair"
<jblair@exis.net> writes
>At 07:38 PM 9/16/96 -0500, L.D. McLaughlin, Jr. wrote:
>

>> Have you seen anything on a Morgan which matches perfectly with
>> the opposite side? I would consider it well-made if the bloomin'
>> thing just closed without a major opening being seen! I would
>> imagine that, with the simple hinge down the center post, the
>> bonnet has just slid either forward or backward. Having just put
>> mine back on yesterday, I will vouch for the sliding part!
>
>Well on my car, one side sit so far forward that you see most of
>the hood lacing on the firewall.  On the other side you see most
>of the hood lacing on the nose.  I can manually get it in position
>but then it will slide to where it wants to sit, the wrong place!

This problem results from the front cowl being wrongly poisitioned so
that there is too much room for the bonnet and either side can slide
forward or back.

It can take hours to get this right - even for professional Morgan
mechanics. You have to slacken off all the cowl retaining nuts and
juggle the whole thing back and forward and side to side and up and down
(along with the bonnet) until you get the best fit possible.

It is common knwledge that the cowl to firewall distance varies on all
cars from new so that the bonnet is the last thing to be made - and it's
made to length by hand for each car so as to get the best fit.

>> What is the coefficient of drag of a Morgan?
>
>I don't have a clue.  Well, maybe I do.  I guess something akin
>to a Semi.

Which in the US is a semi-trailer (artic in the UK) but over here is a
semi-detached house - appropriate!
Martin Kurrein                                The older I get the faster I was.
mograces@mkurrein.co.uk
http://www.mkurrein.co.uk/mog1.html    -      The Morgan Motor Company Challenge