MALVERN FACTORY VISIT

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: MALVERN FACTORY VISIT
From: mshields@pclink.com (Lloyd Shields)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:19:06 -0600
John Olson's visit to the Morgan factory rekindled fond memories of our
first visit in November of 1991.  My wife and I went to Malvern from London
by train.  It takes a little less than two hours of relaxed travel through
rural England.
I was so anxious to be on the way to the Morgan birthplace that I visually
scanned the small village streets on the way for the sight of a Morgan that
surely must be in every town so near to the factory.  That was not to be!

We arrived at Malvern Link at dark, called a cab, and rode up the long hill
to Malvern.  The B & B we stayed in overlooked the town of Malvern and was
touted by the friendly Welsh owner, Tom, and his Irish wife Margaret.  They
claimed to be the official Morgan Factory B & B.  We had a room overlooking
the hills and the factory and even had a bottle of Malvern water in our room.

In the morning we walked the mile from the Sydney House to the factory.
Suddenly a BRG +8 zipped by with Peter Morgan at the wheel!  (The Morgan was
parked in Peter's parking spot at the factory.)  We had the opportunity on
two of the visits to meet both Peter and Charles, and I had the pleasure to
have my picture taken with Peter.  I was impressed with the time he took to
visit and discuss my Morgan.

The factory is just as it has been pictured in the books--50 or so men and
women hand building and pushing each car to its next step in the process.
Everyone was happy to see us and eager to tell us what they do and answer
questions, except at tea time! The front end man spent one half hour sitting
on the wheel talking suspension overhaul.  Almost everyone is a lifer and we
were able to take a group photo of the very team that built our 1967 +4!
It's one of those visits that is exactly as you expected.

The walk up the hill was long, but pleasantly talking over the fun of the
day as we passed the Morgan Pub and knew we had been to Mecca.

We've been back to Malvern twice since then, stayed at the Sydney House and
loved every minute, but there is nothing like the first time.

Lloyd Shields
Minnesota Morgan Club
1967 +4 Morgan   1960 Bugeye