Brake lines and master cylinder conversion

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake lines and master cylinder conversion
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:37:46 -0500
Fellow Morganeers,

Many of you in the know may think my questions simple, but I have run into
a wall and don't quite know what to do. To give a brief overview, I am
restoring a '60 plus 4 and presently installing the brakeing system to a
dual system.  The master cylinder is a stock Toyota with tamdem reservoirs.
This is a ground up restoration so everything is hung on to a new chassis.

I used Fred Sisson's diagram.  My first problem was not comparing his
diagram closely with my master cylinder.  When I thought I was finished, I
realized the rear brake pipe was hooked to master cylinder outlet labeled
"F " or front and the front brake pipe went to the outlet labeled "R" or
rear.  Question? Does this make a difference since the rear line has a
proportioning valve?

Second question, a small cone type valve with a rubber piece and spring
fell from one of these
master cylinder openings and refuses to reseat.  Being that the openings
are on the bottom, the piece described above has already fallen on the
floor once and now may be contaminated.  Not knowing what to clean the part
with, I wiped it off the best I could.  I then tried to reinstall it by
placing the flaired end of the brake pipe over this cone shaped part and
carefully snug it up. Question?  Will this do the job, or am I just kidding
myself?

Last Question, I used a 5 way union like illustrated in Fred's book.  Yep!
I screwed this up too.
I blanked off the outside opening ( just like the book).  This part is
correct. The top opening of the union which originally connected to the
left front wheel is now connected to the master cylinder.  Will this
work,or should I change the routing from the union back like original. The
rear brake line of course by passes the union all together. ( Just like
Fred's illustration ).

Should I take the whole thing out and start from scratch? Aesthetically the
whole thing will be barged due to the extra holes I will have to drilled in
the chassis. Does the master cylinder have to be pulled?

Ignorance,

David