Re: New Morgan options

To: c.butter@umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: New Morgan options
From: chrisack@cix.compulink.co.uk (Chris Acklam)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 14:22 GMT0

> We are soon to reach the top of the waiting list, and would like input
> as to which of the many build options are worthwhile and which one can
> live without.  I realise that many choices will be made on subjective
> basis, but since we have never owned a Mog before, we'd welcome
> any views. The car has to be a four-seater, which nowdays sems to
> mean the Plus 4.

Hmm where to start? OK so these are all very much personal opinions and
may well provoke strong rebuttals:

Upholstery -you've probably chosen by now but if you're going for leather
two points that may be useful: you can ask for contrasting piping which
doesn't cost extra and looks good IMO, second, if you're going for a light
colour be aware that it marks quite a bit - particularly from kids getting
into the back seat. Getting the back of the front seats at least partially
covered in carpet may be a practical option.

Wire wheels: I had them and they take a lot of cleaning. Painted wire
wheels can look very good though.

Luggage carrier: essential. Stainless steel for the long term. Can be
added later

Reversing lights: if still an option, then essential

+8 type fog lights - don't bother. I could never align them properly so
they always seemed to be searching for incoming bombers.

Door handles: I think essential

Aluminium body: well worth it I think. There is a considerable school of
thought that prefers steel wings (less likely to get star bursts from
stones hitting the underside of the wheel arches).

Door mirrors: worth it, but the chrome can be poor

Walnut dash: up to you. May add to later saleability

Radio: I couldn't hear it!

Extra tread rubber on running board: no opinion

Organ type accelerator pedal: well worth it. The standard revolving ball
can be uncomfortable over long journeys and when wearing summer-weight
shoes.

Clock: yes. Easier to cut the hole before the dash is fitted.

Cigar lighter: for all those accessories. Can be added later.

Scuttle roll bar: yes, gives extra rigidity and is more expensive to add
later

Koni shock absorbers back and front: again well worth it I found. Can be
added later.

Perspex wind deflectors: good for the UK when the wind is cold. Can be
added later.

In general go for stainless steel accessories rather than chrome.
If you can, go to the factory and walk around looking at the other cars
there to see if they have anything that you would like.

Hope such a long list hasn't put you off. Good luck.

Chris Acklam (Ashford, Kent, England)
1986 +8 (formerly 1982 +4 4str)