Re: Brake fluid

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: dlfreeman@ipa.net (Dave & Linda Freeman)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:34:06 -0500
>Fellow Morganeers,
>
>I have just completed the installation of  the braking system on my '60
>Plus 4.  All components are new.   I believe that I have an opportunity to
>choose either DOT 3 or DOT 5 brake fluid into my system.  I have read about
>the advantages and disadvantages of both types of fluids in regards to
>collector cars.  I would prefer to use the newer DOT 5 fluid (silicone
>base), but have some reservations that are listed as follows;
>        1. Is there a mechanical brake switch that could be installed as a
>replacemant to the standard brake switch?   I understand a  mechanical
>switch should preserve the reliability the of brake lights when DOT 5 fluid
>is used.
>
>        2. Will the the new vintage era replacement wheel cylinders
>supplyed for Morgans weep DOT 5  fluid after a period of use?
>
>        3. Has anyone out there actually replaced the fluid in a rebuilt
>braking system with DOT 5 fluid? and if so, what was your experience?
>
>         4. What type of fluid is currently used on modern Morgans?  How
>does the  braking system of a modern Morgan differ from that of  the
>vintage Morgan?
>
>I realize I am asking a lot.  Like many Morgan people who do a rebuild, I
>am striving for a renovation rather than a restoration.
>
>Morgan dittos,
>
>David
I have been using Dot 5 on my 60 +4  for at least the last 7 or 8 years
probably longer. (can't remember when I did the brake rebuild)  I have had
no problems to date and a fair amount of the usage was on autocross
courses.

Dave and Linda Freeman  <http://www.ipa.net/~dlfreeman>
Living the Good Life